Wednesday, March 16, 2005

My movie ratings in IMDb

It is time to talk about my ratings on movies appeared in this doghouse. Most of you would notice my movies watching list of each month. I included my ratings to make it more referable and interesting. The rating is based on the scale from 1 to 10 and saved in the IMDb (Internet Movie Database). Yes, I have used this tool to record the seen films and collected videos for over three years approximately.

Though it would be personal for rating movies while everyone should has his/her own standard. To me, I tried to adopt a "pseudo-scientific" method to include my personal preference and also the historical importance, despite the quality of the work itself. So, in other words, a higher graded movie means its greatness to me.

For example, Max Ophüls' "Madame de..." (1953) is certainly one of the best movies I have never seen. But I could not give a full mark because it did not get a weighty status in the film history yet. Similarly, the cinematic masterpiece "The Black Stallion" (1979) is only graded a 8 without any recognized significance, even it is one of my favorites in the 70s. Anyway, just a sharing and note to my watched movies lists, please do not treat it seriously.